Friday, March 15, 2013

Make Your School Healthier



For the first time in 10 years the obesity rate of students in the U.S. has gone down.http://carbsyndrome.com/tag/obesity-rates-going-down-in-mass/   Thanks to the increase in nutrition education and a national push for physical education in the schools. The rate of childhood obesity is still horrendous. Health of students should be the number one goal of all educators and administrators.

I recently came across http://kidshealth.org/teen/ this is a great website that discusses kidshealth. You have to log in but it is a simple process.

Many school districts across the U.S. are taking unhealthy vending machines out of the schools. This includes soda machines. The downside is companies such as Coca-Cola and Pepsi pay the schools to keep these machines in. If you look at most scoreboards from the previous 10 years you will see that scoreboard was donated by Coca-Cola or Pepsi. Some believe that the money these companies bring in is more important than the negative health aspects of the Soda. The link http://www.care2.com/greenliving/9-disturbing-side-effects-of-soda.html gives the reader 9 disturbing facts about Soda.


3 comments:

  1. Jon,

    I totally agree with what you have to say about childhood obesity rates in the US. One of the bad things about technology is that it tends to make people lazy. I myself was lazy and unmotivated until my doctor told me last summer that I am shortening my life because of ho fat I was. I am proud to say that I lost 47lbs and went from size 18 to a size 12!

    Your blog sounds interesting.

    Thanks,

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon,
    It's great you are bringing attention to this matter. So many students are overweight, and just as Melanie said, technology is not helping. Students need to be taught healthy habits in school because many do not have people at home who practice healthy eating habits. One thing that bothers me in my school is that students can buy snacks every day. I have students who purchase a snack every day! There are chips and ice cream. Most who buy snacks eat very little of their lunch, but go straight to the snack. I wish our school would stop selling them, or limit them to one day a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drinking water to control weight. A recent study by Physical Education america shows that students that drink the recommended 8 glasses of water a day are 20 times less likely to become obese.

    ReplyDelete